Kickended is an archive of Kickstarter’s $0-pledged campaigns. Kickended is the place where campaigns with no backers live a second life. Free from the pressure of money raising, these retain the purity of abstract ideas. Kickended uses data from kickspy.com.
By bringing to the fore crowdfunding projects with no backers, Kickended contributes to subvert the success bias produced at the level of both media storytelling and Kickstarter’s ranking algorithms. In this sense, it encourages a realistic perspective on the much hyped self-entrepreneurship. Kickended ignited a lively debate around these issues on major media outlets such as, among others, the Washington Post, the Guardian, CNET, Yahoo! Tech, and Buzzfeed.
Kickended performs an important service. It reminds us that what we see around us is not representative of the world; it is biased in systematic ways. Normally, when we talk of bias we think of a conscious ideological slant. But many biases are simple and unconscious. I have never read a media report or blog post about a typical, representative Kickstarter campaign – but I heard a lot about the Pebble watch, the Coolest cooler and potato salad. If I didn’t know better, I might form unrealistic expectations about what running a Kickstarter campaign might achieve. (Tim Harford, Financial Times)
Related: The Competitive Aesthetics of Failure at MoneyLab: Economies of Dissent, 3/12/2015.
Read an interview with me about Kickended by Nell Frizzell on The Guardian: Kickended: the enthralling world of crowdfunding flops
- Washington Post | Meet the Web site where start-up dreams go to die
- Guardian | Kickended: the enthralling world of crowdfunding flops
- Financial Times | Learn from the losers
- Wired DE | Null Dollar, null Unterstützer, null Erfolg: Auf dem Friedhof der Kickstarter-Projekte
- DazedDigital | Shed a tear over this archive of failed Kickstarters
- BuzzFeed | Kickended, The Online Graveyard For $0 Funded Kickstarters
- Boing Boing | Kickended tracks completely unfunded Kickstarter projects
- Gawker | The Tragically Boring Kickstarters That Got Zero Dollars From Backers
- Repubblica.it | Le idee peggiori di Kickstarter: nemmeno un dollaro raccolto
- Corriere.it | Tutti i progetti di crowdfunding più assurdi
- Linkiesta | Kickended, il catalogo dei flop del crowdfunding
- Yahoo! Tech | A New Website Highlights Kickstarter Projects That Failed to Attract a Single Backer
- CNET | Kickended: Where $0 failed Kickstarters go to die
- Daily Mirror | Here are the Kickstarter projects that got £0 funding
- Naked Science | Коллекция самых провальных проектов на Kickstarter, собравших $0